Articles

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

TWOD (Thoughts and Workout of the Day)

Some some thoughts for the day.  Recovery is just as important, if not more so, then the training itself.  I heard a quote that I really like, "it's not the training that makes you better its the recovery."  I'm not sure who said it, but I like it.   Another quote that I really like is by the infamous Mark Rippetoe, "stronger people are harder to kill and generally more useful!"

Well with those thought in mind, and with two days of back to back training, today will focus on active recovery.  For me, that will include 10-20 min of flexibility and mobility drills.  Looking for some mobility knowledge.  Here is a great site by Kelly Starrett mobilitywod.blogspot.com.  I will do some coaching today.  Yes, like myself, many of have the "bug."  You think, "I got to train, I got to do something, or I'm going to lose what I've gained!"  Don't panic, take a deep breath.  You won't.  Active recovery to the rescue!  If you need to "do something" do some skill, flexibility or mobility work.  For me, today I will be doing some Strengh/Conditioning (SC) coaching for my MMA athlete, Jacob Brannan (look him up!).  Quite often coaching others becomes my active recovery thus allowing me to feel like I'm "doing something."

If its a recovery day for you, then get some mobility work in or flexibility....or not.


12-22-10 MMA/Advanced Athlete WOD:
50 yrd handstand walk followed by 30 sec rest.
(2) rounds
Penalty: feet touching ground
for every penalty, do burpee with explosive jump and sprint back to start then back to where you left off.


Intermediate Athlete WOD:
Same as beginner but practice the tuck and roll from the free hand stand


Beginner Athlete WOD:
using wall or partner, practice handstands.  Remember: active shoulder, get the traps involved!!
try to hold for 30 seconds then work on developing a 3-5 second free handstand. 3 to 5 rounds will be enough.

 
Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. Nice on the work out today my friend. Hard to type my shoulders and arms are shaking to much....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job bro!

    ReplyDelete